FV Hospital - World Class Healthcare in Vietnam

Health Enews

FV organised the first community workshop in Can Tho

On the morning of January 4th, 2019, FV Hospital hosted the workshop “New advances in treatment and prevention of high blood pressure” in Can Tho city. This is the first time FV has organised a workshop outside Ho Chi Minh City, and it was attended predominantly by middle-aged residents of Kien Giang and Can Tho provinces.

Three senior specialists from FV led proceedings: Head of Cardiology Dr Huynh Ngoc Long, Dr Luong Ngoc Trung from FV’s Vascular Surgery & Phlebology Department and Dr Nguyen Viet Quynh Thu, who heads Nutrition & Dietetics Unit.

At the workshop, doctors explained that hypertension is a serious disease which easily causing complications such as stroke, myocardial infarction and cardiovascular disease. In particular, these problems tend to develop slowly with few identifying symptoms, so many people overlook it. The best treatment for hypertension is prevention. “Medications are only 30 per cent successful in treating this disease. The remaining 70 per cent depends on whether the patient consumes a proper diet, exercises regularly and minimises their level of stress,” says Dr Long.

After the workshop, Nguyen Thi Lieu (58 years old, Can Tho) shared her thoughts: “I have attended many scientific conferences, but this is the first programme where I found the doctors’ presentation extremely impressive.” Ms Lieu says

“Doctors often recommend how to treat illness, but very few explain clearly the importance of preventing disease. Thanks to FV Hospital doctors, now I fully understand the best person to treat high blood pressure, is myself,” she continues.

In the afternoon of the same day, FV Hospital’s doctors held an exchange with medical doctors and students studying and working in Can Tho on “New advances in the treatment of coronary artery disease”. The event was also an occasion to expand opportunities of cooperation between doctors in Can Tho and at FV Hospital, aiming at the common goal of improving the quality of treatment and healthcare for patients. In 2019, FV Hospital will host community workshops in many more areas outside Ho Chi Minh City to help more people understand how to protect and care for themselves and their families.