ANATOMICAL PATHOLOGY TECHNICIAN
General Job Description
- Ensure all work performed is undertaken in compliance with the Laboratory Quality Management System.
- Develop and comply with methods and techniques specified in laboratory manuals
- Registration and preparation of samples for analysis according to laboratory guidelines
- Processing and blocking of tissues using the latest automated tissue processing technology
- Microtomy of embedded tissues using the latest motorised microtomes
- Staining of tissue sections using a combination of methods and processes.
- Perform regular quality control and quality assurance activities as required under the Pathologist’s supervision.
- Undertake cross-training within the Laboratory Department to ensure adequate backup staffing for all duties.
- Contribute to providing high standard of service within the department
- Operation, maintenance and report of malfunction of automated equipment in accordance with hospital policy
- Reporting to appropriate staff when consumable stocks are low
- Scanning of slides for digital pathology.
- Filing blocks and slides and preparation of material for seminars
- Minimum University education with a BSc in Medical laboratory technology (or equivalent) with knowledge in the following fields: Anatomical Pathology and Cytology.
- Demonstrated relevant technical skills & knowledge.
- Demonstrated ability to work both with minimal supervision and also under direct supervision.
- The ability to prioritize and multi-task for completing tasks within set timeframes.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills with the ability to work individually and also as a team member
- Quality focused with a systematic approach to work.
- Experience in leadership or supervision of Laboratory Technicians is preferred
- Knowledge of ISO 15189 standard requirements is recommended.
Skills and knowledge
- Demonstrated possession of soft skills including (but not limited to) critical thinking, positive attitude, flexibility, teamwork and accountability.
- Intermediate knowledge of MS Excel
- Ability and willingness to work under pressure to meet deadlines;
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously
- Fluent in English