Obstetrics is the branch of medicine that deals with the care of women during pregnancy, childbirth, and the recuperative period following delivery. Gynaecology refers to the speciality that focuses on the treatment and diagnosis of diseases and conditions that affect a woman’s physical and emotional well-being.
Obstetricians and Gynaecologists provide a wide range of clinical services related to pregnancy care, birth, contraception, medical and surgical gynaecologic oncology, pelvic floor disorders, urinary incontinence, infertility and other women’s health concerns.
The Breast Care Clinic is dedicated to detecting breast diseases at their earliest, more treatable stages to give patients their best chance to overcome a breast cancer diagnosis, and to provide comprehensive care for benign breast conditions.
The department is located in the F Building: consultations on the 1st floor, the Delivery Suite on the 2nd floor and the Maternity Ward on the 5th floor. Patients operated for Gynaecological conditions are admitted on the Surgical Ward (6th floor).
Pregnancy is a special time for every family with a new, joyful chapter in their life about to unfold. Selecting the doctor and hospital to help them through their pregnancy and delivery is an extremely important decision for any family.
Our Obstetrics Department provides tailor-made maternity packages based on a woman’s individual circumstances which support parents-to-be through every stage of their pregnancy.
Services provided by our Obstetrics Department are administered through an integrated experienced team of dedicated obstetricians, midwives and paediatricians. Our obstetricians are available twenty-four hours a day. The following services are provided:
- Pre-natal classes – to provide the mother-to-be with knowledge about their pregnancy, to get their body fit and ready for the delivery and also to be ready to welcome the baby
- Birth Plan – at FV Hospital we recognise that every part of a birthing experience is unique so we help you indicate your preferences
- Ante-natal diagnostic testing – a combination of non-invasive routine blood and urine tests, as well as advanced screening and diagnostic examinations for specific birth defects
- Pre-natal ultrasounds – Routine ultrasounds are conducted to monitor your child’s development. Offering a unique experience as parents are able to see their child in three dimensions in the womb
- Pre-natal monitoring – Monitor your baby’s heartbeat and other vital signs, and whether uterine contractions have started, usually done at the end of the pregnancy
- High-risk pregnancy management
- Delivery – providing a happy and protected environment with a fully equipped delivery suite, and an experienced team of specialists on hand day-and-night. We offer complete birth packages inclusive of 3 nights of hospitalisation for natural birth and 4 nights for caesarean
- Post-natal care – a paediatrician is on standby during delivery and will examine your baby shortly after birth. Screening and vaccinations are provided during your stay in the Maternity ward. For newborns who require special care and for premature babies our fully equipped Paediatric Department with its neonatal intensive care units is on hand
- Rehabilitation – to assist mothers in physically recovering after their birth
After giving birth, you and your baby will be given a single or double room in our Maternity Ward. FV Hospital encourages rooming-in (keeping your baby with you at your bedside). Rooming-in helps mothers bond with their babies and gain confidence in their care.
FV Hospital recognises that breast milk is the most complete form of nutrition for infants and endorses at least six months of exclusive breastfeeding as the ideal way to feed your baby.
Our specialists at FV Hospital offer a range of gynaecological services to meet the specific needs of each woman throughout the phases of her life:
- Routine gynaecology examination – which includes cervical smears, HPV testing, colposcopy assessment, breast and pelvic examinations
- Breast Care Clinic – the clinic assists women in the diagnosis and management of breast cancer, non-cancerous tumours and lumps, breast pain, fibrocystic disease, and other disorders. It provides:
- 3-D digital screening and diagnostic mammography
- Ultrasound screening and diagnostic exams
- Breast surgery (including sentinel lymph node biopsy, lumpectomy, mastectomy)
Our specialists work closely with Hy Vong, the FV Oncology Department
- Medical and surgical gynaecologic oncology – comprehensive diagnosis and treatment for cervical, uterine, ovarian, vulvar, and vaginal cancers
- Cervical Cancer screening – using the NovaPreap® Test, recommended by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the HPV PCR Screening, a test approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Uro-gynaecology – management of urinary incontinence and pelvic floor disorders
- Intimate female surgery (hymenoplasty)
- Infertility screening and management
- Menopause management
- Pregnancy termination
FV Hospital has the expertise and equipment to administer both open and laparoscopic surgery. Laparoscopic surgery, also called minimally invasive surgery or keyhole surgery, offers patients less pain, better outcomes and shorter postoperative recovery. The procedure involves smaller surgical incisions compared to the larger incisions formed in open surgery. A special camera known as a laparoscope, as well as specialised surgical instruments are then passed through the incisions to facilitate surgery.
Another even less invasive technique involves entering the abdomen by means of the vagina, enabling the surgery to be performed on internal reproductive organs without the need for an abdominal incision.
Located on the 1st floor of the F Building, the Obstetrics & Gynaecology and Breast Care Clinic offers a calm environment in soft tones of brown and beige, with purpose built seating for more comfort for the patients. The 6 consultation rooms and the ultrasound room are entirely fitted to the highest standards. The design brings state-of-the-art medical care and patient comfort together in this modern setting. Detailed foetal ultrasounds and regular biological studies conducted over the duration of your pregnancy allow obstetricians to evaluate you and your baby’s progress and detect most abnormalities at an early stage. Our 3D/4D ultrasound machine GE Voluson 730 allows parents to see their child in three dimensions and to see the baby moving about in the womb.
Located on the 2nd floor of the F Building, it comprises an examination room where women can be examined and monitored, a pre-delivery area providing a relaxing environment with everything a mother needs prior to labour and 3 delivery rooms. Our delivery rooms combine the most advanced equipment (including highly comfortable delivery beds, designed to accommodate every woman, regardless of height, in a perfect ergonomically correct and relaxed seating) in comforting environment of ambient light and soothing music. Should you prefer, instead of music there’s the option of listening to the monitored heartbeat of your baby.
And, to ensure a painless delivery, we always recommend an epidural anaesthesia. In the event that a caesarean section is required, our operating theatres are in close proximity to the delivery rooms.
Our comprehensive delivery package includes a three-night hospitalisation (4 nights in case of C-section) in our spacious 5th floor Maternity Ward. We provide you with a bedside cradle, so you can remain close to your baby in the days following delivery. Alternatively, the baby can be cared for in our nursery should you need a restful night. A nappy changing table is also provided for your convenience. Our skilled midwives and nursery nurses will be happy to give you instructions about breast feeding and care of the newborn, to help make your adjustment to being a new mother as easy as possible.
Following birth, you can welcome your baby and your family in our large and beautiful rooms that are designed for comfort and convenience. In addition, you will be aided by our team of specially trained midwives who provide personalised attention to ensure continuity of care and support, for example, bathing, feeding and lulling the baby to sleep, so mothers have more time to rest or to do their recovery exercises.