Paediatrics is the medical specialty that focuses on medical conditions affecting babies, children and young people. Paediatricians concentrate on specific health issues, diseases and disorders related to stages of growth and development.
Our paediatricians provide expert care for your children at every stage of their life, from newborns to adolescents. For a family, we understand the importance of building a long lasting relationship with a paediatrician that both the parents and child feel comfortable with.
The department provides a wide range of specialised services including ENT, Endocrinology, Cardiology, Pulmonology (Respiratory Medicine), Gastroenterology, Nephrology, Haematology, Paediatric General and Urological Surgery. We also offer Neonatology, a subspecialty of paediatrics which focuses on newborn infants who are seriously ill or born prematurely.
Consultations are located on the first floor on the V Building at FV Hospital, the Paediatric ward and the Neonatal High-Dependency Unit (NHDU) are situated on the 5th floor of the F Building and the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) is located on the 2nd floor of the F Building.
- Well-child care
- Check-up for admission to school or sport activities
- Diagnosis and treatment of infectious diseases such as Dengue fever, hand foot and mouth disease, typhoid, meningitis, chicken pox, measles, rubella and various viral infections
- Tonsillitis, otitis media, sinusitis
- Speech and language delays
- Hearing difficulties
- Upper airway allergy
- Patients encompass a full range of clinical issues including growth, puberty and thyroid disorders, diabetes and rarer endocrine problems.
- Malnutrition and obesity
- We provide outpatient screening and review of children or newborns with suspected congenital or acquired heart disease, including investigation of cardiac murmurs, dysrhythmias, and chest pain.
Pulmonology (Respiratory Medicine)
- Asthma and chronic cough
- Bronchiolitis, bronchitis, pneumonia
- Gastrointestinal tract infections
- Gastro-oesophageal reflux
- Coeliac disease
- Child constipation
- Recurrent abdominal pain
- Complex urinary tract infections
- Proteinuria (excess protein in the urine)
- Nephrotic syndrome
- Haematuria (blood in the urine)
- Acute and chronic glomerulonephritis
- Metabolic and genetic kidney disease
- Bleeding disorders
- Thrombotic problems
- Haemoglobinopathies (sickle cell disease and thalassemia)
- Consultant surgeons cover general, urology and laparoscopic surgery
- Services provided include the surgical management of genital and urinary problems that occur in children with a special emphasis on developmental problems affecting the kidneys, bladder, urethra or genital tract, and surgical treatment of abdominal conditions such as appendicitis, hernias, intussusception, pyloric stenosis, etc.
- Pre-natal counselling for high-risk pregnancies
- Neonatal intensive and special care for acute respiratory distress, prematurity, neonatal infection, severe intestinal disorder, prolonged unconjugated neonatal jaundice, etc.
The OPD Paediatrics Department is designed as a child-friendly environment to keep children happy and relaxed, custom-made furniture, a playground called “Noisy Zone”, cartoons characters painted on walls in both waiting areas and inside the consultation rooms provide a soothing sense throughout
Paediatrics Ward and NHDU
Children are treated as special patients at FV. We have designed the areas dedicated to treating children with special care, in order to provide them with a kids-friendly atmosphere and give parents comfort. The new ward has been entirely fitted with a colour code that reflects light, soft colours, which create a bright environment. The walls are decorated with playful elements and paintings and the rooms have individually chosen artwork to facilitate orientation.
The floor finishes are lighter and include elements of colour as well. The ward is also equipped with a kid playground that is purpose-built with children furniture, games and toys.
The NHDU (Neonatal High Dependency Unit) is designed in the same vein as the ward, offering playful pastel colour finishes. It is organised to give newborns the state-of-the-art medical care in an environment which reassures parents and family.
The NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) is a high-tech unit where premature babies are taken care of by neonatologists and a team of highly-trained nurses
Infusion syringe pumps (B. Braun) especially designed for the specific needs of paediatric patients.
Volumetric infusion pumps (B. Braun) providing multiple operating modes for operational ease and optimise safety, each pump is fixed with flow clamps, air detectors (to minimise risk of air infusion), and adjustable pressure limits.
Neonatal Incubator (Dräger) offering an ideally controlled micro-climate for premature babies. Designed to make monitoring procedures, such as X-Ray and weight measurement, have a minimal effect on the patient.
Neonatal Ventilator Babylog VN 500 (Dräger), providing conventional mechanical ventilation and HFO (High Frequency Oscillation), designed specifically for premature babies.
Nitric Oxide system (Dräger), the best treatment for some critical respiratory distress, such as persisted pulmonary hypertension in newborn.