From January 11 to January 12, 2019, Dr Donald Tan, former President of the World Corneal Society, will perform corneal transplants for patients with corneal ulcers, corneal dystrophy and corneal scarring at FV’s Ophthalmology Department.
This is an opportunity for patients with cornea diseases to receive treatment in Vietnam at a much lower cost than seeking treatment overseas.Patients will also save time as they do not have to wait for a donor cornea to become available.
With more than 20 years of specialist ophthalmology experience, Dr Donald Tan is considered a master of corneal transplants and refractive surgeries, including:
- Penetrating keratoplasty – removal of the whole cornea
- Anterior lamellar keratoplasty – removal of the damaged part of the cornea, keeping the heathy part
- Stem cell transplants for ocular surface diseases
- Osteo-odonto keratoprosthesis (OOKP) technique – known as “tooth in eye” surgery – for those with severe corneal damage
- Corneal surface reconstruction
- Artificial corneal transplants
- Endothelial keratoplasty
- Lamellar keratoplasty – the removal of damaged cornea layers while retaining healthy ones, helping to reduce complications and resulting in better vision compared to conventional penetrating keratoplasty. This method has a success rate up to 98per cent and rejection rate of only 1 per cent.
Patients who need keratoplasty usually have to seek treatment overseas, which is typically very costly and time-consuming. By importing corneas from the world’s best eye banks in the US and Singapore – where donor corneas are restored and preserved in optimal conditions – FV is committed to offering its patients more opportunities to regain their eyesight at a lower cost than seeking treatment overseas.
FV, an international-standard hospital, is equipped with modern machinery and staffed by an expansive team of specialists and experienced doctors whose skills span many disciplines.
FV offers meticulous, dedicated pre- and post-surgical care, so that our patients can feel completely assured of receiving the best possible treatment and outcome, from initial consultation to full recovery.