From October 2021 FV Hospital implemented the COVID-19 antibody test from quantitative serum with high accuracy and provides detailed information about antibody levels in patient samples. This is a testing service to identify a person who already has antibodies against the SARS-CoV-2 virus.
This test is recommended in the unvaccinated cases if the patient has had COVID-19 symptoms before but did not get tested; or aid in diagnosis when a patient has complications of COVID-19, such as childhood multisystem inflammatory syndrome (MIS-C), or post-acute COVID-19 sequelae.
An advantage of this method is high accuracy and specificity in detecting antibodies to the virus. The test takes about 3 hours from the time a sample is collected to the time the test results are returned; it may take longer if done on the weekend.
The COVID-19 antibody test will give a positive or negative result:
- Positive: this result suggests previous infection and/ or previous vaccination:
- Quantity of detected antibodies will also be reported for all positive results;
- This will be expressed in the World Health Organization (WHO) standard units of BAU/mL (Binding Antibody Units);
- Reported quantitative anti-SARS-CoV-2 antibody levels should not be used to infer an individual’s immune status, vaccination status or infectivity.
- Negative: this result suggests no previous infection and no previous vaccination, however:
- A proportion of individuals who are infected with SARS-CoV-2 might not develop detectable levels of antibodies and thus may give negative antibody results;
- In some vaccinated people, antibody test results may be negative without a history of previous infection if the vaccine received induces antibodies that are not detected by that particular testing kit.
- The rate and extent of antibody production after infection may vary amongst different individuals and depending on nature of infection.
FV Laboratory Department is one of the few laboratories in Vietnam that has advanced modern equipment and is certified to meet the stringent requirements of the Ministry of Health. FV Hospital’s Laboratory is a state-of-the-art facility that uses ultra-modern equipment and the latest technologies in providing a comprehensive range of routine and emergency laboratory tests to patients at FV Hospital and to individual patients that come in for medical tests.
FV Laboratory is the first and currently only laboratory in Vietnam to proactively ensure highest possible quality of test results by comparing our day-to-day performance against a group of over 1000 international laboratories in countries including USA, France, Germany, Thailand, Japan, through Roche Diagnostics’ quality control and quality assurance tools. This provides confidence to our requesting doctors and patients that results given by FV laboratory are the exact standard and quality as those reported at international-standard laboratories worldwide.
The cost for COVID-19 Antibody Testing (Serology) Services at FV Hospital during office hours is VND 1,100,000. After receiving the test results, patients who want to consult with a doctor can contact the General Practice Department. Please noted that consultation fees will be applied.
To book an appointment for a COVID-19 antibody test (serology) at FV Hospital, please contact 028 5411 3333 for instructions on the safety process before coming to collect samples.